Your Children's Rights

School is back in session and your children are beyond your watchful eye most hours of the week.  Oftentimes during those hours our kids get involved in some kind of trouble.  Fights, disorderly conduct, drug possession, and vandalism are just a few examples. Sometimes a student may be punished administratively with a reprimand, demerits, detention or suspension.  Other times, depending on the circumstances, the local police may become involved.

As a parent, it is important to be informed about your child’s rights in case he or she ever becomes involved in that type of situation.  As a minor, your child is not legally competent to waive their right to remain silent.  The law places that important decision in the hands of the parent. That means, before the police can question your child they need your consent. You have the ability to permit your child to talk with the police or to refuse to let your child talk with them.  You also have the right to be present during any questioning or conversation between your child and a police officer.

The consequences to your child of becoming involved in a juvenile criminal matter can be serious. You should take the decision about allowing your child to talk with police officers seriously. If you find yourself in this type of situation, and faced with a decision of whether or not to allow your child to talk with the police, you should consider contacting an attorney experienced in juvenile and criminal law.

A juvenile accused of delinquent conduct is entitled to have an attorney present for every step of the proceedings. An attorney experienced in juvenile and criminal law will be equipped to counsel you and your child through the court process, help you and your child make important decisions related to the charges, and obtain a resolution that will have the smallest possible impact on your child's future.

In the event your child has already been adjudicated a delinquent, it is important to know that he or she may be eligible for an expungement of the charges after a certain amount of time. If you are interested in obtaining an expungement for your child, or for your own criminal or disorderly persons charges, you should consult with an attorney.

Broscious, Fischer & Zaiter is a multi-service law firm in Washington, NJ, serving clients in Warren, Hunterdon, Morris, Somerset, and Sussex Counties in New Jersey and in Hackettstown, NJ, as well as Easton, Allentown, Northampton, Lehigh and many other communities in Eastern Pennsylvania.

Traffic Ticket or A Criminal Violation

If you received a traffic ticket or other criminal violation you may have also gotten unsolicited mail offering legal help.

If you find this practice as offensive as we do, call our law firm at: 908-689-0992 or email us at Broscious, Fischer & Zaiter will handle your problem in a professional manner. For more information on municipal violations or criminal charges in New Jersey or any charges in Pennsylvania.

"The Good Lawyer is not the man who has an eye to every side and angle of contingency,....but who throws himself on your part so heartily, that he can get you out of a scrape."

--- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Thomas P. Fischer is a member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum recognized as the most prestigious group of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts, awards and settlements.
Empowered by KickStart® CMS, a Varident Product
This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. [ Site Map ]